FIRST POST /dARK RIDERS/updated 12/27/06

Stellt Eure in Arbeit befindlichen oder fertigen 2D-Artworks hier aus, um sie diskutieren zu lassen. Dabei spielt es keine Rolle, ob Euer Artwork in klassischen Techniken oder digital entstanden ist.
TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 15. Dez 2006, 16:54

Hi Jaymo,

I totally understand your point about combining the post with the Dvd release, and thats why I removed the links to it and I am aware of my mistake and apologized for it.

Because of my schedule I rarely have time to post art work and participate in dialogue even in the usa forums. I just posted on conceptart.org after about a year of no post. So when post I usually add links or announce what I'm working on or have to offer in the form of books or instructional dvds etc.
Money is okay but I am more interested in reaching out to other artist who are developing their skills or for pros who want to learn other techniques. I myself have many books and dvds by other artist to help with my learning and skills. I am constantly learning and my work is evolving constantly.

This is a great forum, and I've seen already some great images and some not so great, everyone has diffrent skill levels, it would be boring if we all painted alike ;).

How is the digital art movement in Germany? is their a market for fantasy art there?

sorry about the translation, it was a bad idea, but I meant well ;)

JP

jaymo
Beitrag von jaymo » 15. Dez 2006, 17:33

Since the digital art scene in germany is heavily influenced by the international, mostly american forums (like CA), it is quite close to the american, stylewise. Though it seems a lot of the established german professionals in illustration are less interested in internet forums. But that's rather a guess. And although a huge amount of games are being sold in germany the number of german gamedev studios is limited.

The point of this forum initially was to create an art forum similar to sijun or CA in german language to strengthen the german digital art scene and its identity plus opening it to those not capable of the english language.

TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 15. Dez 2006, 18:14

no prob Alex_d,

It was all my fault to post in that manner.

I am open to questions and suggestions as all of you are , so please do not hesitate to ask questions or give me crits, I welcome both :).
Do any of you post at CA or other forums?
I like this forums, do you have workshops as well?

JP

maldietrich

Beitrag von maldietrich » 15. Dez 2006, 18:18

just art work from the real artist
LOL :lol:

So it's really you, huh? *pokes*
The fact that most people here did not believe you would actually post in our cozy little forum must be quite a compliment to you.

Anyways. Thank gods you made it over the big lake! I kept an eye on your work since I first discovered you back in the days at Epilogue. I think you just started out working digital at this time. I never dared to, but I always wanted to tell you how brilliantly you adopted your traditional work into the digital area!

I think everyone here would highly appreciate your input, comments, critics and whatever you'd like to share from your experience. If you don't have the time for this (which I absolutely understand) it would be great if you'd share a speedpaint or sketch now and then.

There are two threads, you might want to post there: Speedpainting:
http://www.digitalartforum.de/forum/vie ... cd3a966366

Doodles, Skeches or Drawings:
http://www.digitalartforum.de/forum/vie ... cd3a966366

Have a great time!

TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 15. Dez 2006, 21:42

Malditrich,

Thank you for the warm welcome, you should have commented in my epilogue gallery, I like to hear suggestions and crits especially in the case of my traditional technique vs my digital.

Thanks alot for the links I just posted a bunch of older speed paints, havent had time to do new ones but I will.

Arnes-

As soon as I get more art and stuff I will definatley show it, :)

thank you.

JP

Engelszorn
Beitrag von Engelszorn » 15. Dez 2006, 22:43

Well, this is a pleasant surprise :) I must say, I was a bit puzzled by your post, but I'm glad it turned out like that. Welcome to the forum and maybe you'll stick around for longer? Your artworks are very beautiful, I like how you work with textures.

fxk
Beitrag von fxk » 16. Dez 2006, 01:05

hi TARGETE. Also a warm welcome from me.

Well, so now our second english speaking member has arrived :) Good thing that we also have www.digitalartforum.com - you never know when you become international ;)
I'm the great Cornholio - I need some TP for my bonghole...

TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 16. Dez 2006, 07:43

Hey ArneS,

Here are some more images of the graphic novel still early concepts. I will release more images as I get closer to publication,

it will be very violent, detailed and full color, hope fully the story will be okay ;) too.
all the best

Bild

Hi fxk and Engelszorn, thank you for the kind welcome, I will do my best to post when time allows.

JP

RamMan
Beitrag von RamMan » 16. Dez 2006, 10:58

Hi JP,

absolutely fantastic artworks. big compliment for that. i especially like the drawings of the demonhunter character at your homepage. :thumb:

digitaldecoy
Beitrag von digitaldecoy » 16. Dez 2006, 11:56

What first looked like some dull guerilla marketing turned out to be the real thing! What a nice surprise!

It's a pitty, that you don't speak german. I would have loved you to take part in some of our discussions. But you won't have the time anyway, I guess. So, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Since you are here I might as well ask you some questions about your graphic novel project! I hope you don't mind?

First of all, I'm interested how long you are/were working on the projects and how you organized your work (e.g. in the afterhours or did you take some time off to do it)?

Then I would like to know if you had a publisher from the start on or if you did find a publisher when you had something to show? if the latter - what did you have to show the publisher? Some finished pages? A finished storyboard? Or just a finished vision statement? Did the publisher get involved in the creative process (like, changing things?)

And the last question: is this grahic novel project aimed to create a commercial pay off or are you happy just to see it published and somebody else is taking care of the printing costs? This question seems to be a little weird because of course you will hope to sell a lot of copies. But concerning the time you spent on creating the graphic novel (I have no idea how much time that is...), does it pay off or is it more like a financed afterhour project? Please don't get this question wrong - what I'm really interested in is, if someone who would like to do a graphic novel should hope that he could make a living out of it our if he should see it as a afterhour project right from the start on? I hope you unterstand, what I mean. :)

Thanks for your time!
Besuch mich doch Mal in meinem Personal Showroom! - http://www.digitalartforum.de/forum/vie ... php?t=1604

TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 16. Dez 2006, 21:05

Thanks for the kind words RamMan, much appreciated,

Hey Digitaldecoy, you ask some great questions, I will try to answer them the best I can.

>>First of all, I'm interested how long you are/were working on the projects and how you organized your work (e.g. in the afterhours or did you take some time off to do it)?<<

The graphic novel is far from done, it will take me awhile. I work as a fulltime freelance artist/illustrator/concept artist. What that means is that I work just about everyday on art related stuff, however I work at home. In the past I've taken a few hours off the day to work on my graphic novel and other projects like my sketchbook which will probably be available before the Graphic novel.

>>Then I would like to know if you had a publisher from the start on or if you did find a publisher when you had something to show? if the latter - what did you have to show the publisher? Some finished pages? A finished storyboard? Or just a finished vision statement? Did the publisher get involved in the creative process (like, changing things?)<<

I do not have a publisher yet, When I have completed the project I will seek one out. If I cannot get a publisher I will self publish it. There are a number of companies especially on the internet that will print and distribute your books for a percentage of the sale..this is one of the companies:

lulu.com
comixpress.com

With anything else there's always advantages and disadvantages. The important thing in my case is that I dont want to sacrifice my creativity or change anything in my graphic novel because a publisher says so..that is sensorship.

>>And the last question: is this grahic novel project aimed to create a commercial pay off or are you happy just to see it published and somebody else is taking care of the printing costs? This question seems to be a little weird because of course you will hope to sell a lot of copies. But concerning the time you spent on creating the graphic novel (I have no idea how much time that is...), does it pay off or is it more like a financed afterhour project? Please don't get this question wrong - what I'm really interested in is, if someone who would like to do a graphic novel should hope that he could make a living out of it our if he should see it as a afterhour project right from the start on? I hope you unterstand, what I mean.<<

Good question, well for me I am just doing what I want to, and if it sells well or okay then thats great. The one thing you have to realize is who is putting out the graphic novel? If Frank Frazetta put out a graphic novel, regardless of the story alot of fans will buy it, but if Joe Blow does a great graphic novel wih a decent story noy everyone may purchase it because he is unknown. For me I've been doing art/illustration since about 1989 and I have a small group of fans that are familiar with my work so If I produce a graphic novel hopefully they will enjoy it.

You would need to ask yourself several questions first before you start your Graphic novel.

1. Why am I doing this? to get rich? to just do it and be happy? or because the Fans want it?
2. Do I care about getting abig name publisher? or will I be happy to self pubish or go with a small publisher?
3. How much time and money do I wnat to invest in this?
4. Who are my fans? do I have a big enough name in the industry to carry my book?should I even attempt it, or should I do something smaller with low risk?.

all of these questions are important for to ask yourself and answer them for yourself.

I actually do not know exactly what will happen when I complete this, but I can tell you that I will enjoy myself creating it :)

all the best

JP

digitaldecoy
Beitrag von digitaldecoy » 16. Dez 2006, 22:26

Thank you very much for answering my questions! I really appreciate!
Besuch mich doch Mal in meinem Personal Showroom! - http://www.digitalartforum.de/forum/vie ... php?t=1604

Zaknafain
Beitrag von Zaknafain » 17. Dez 2006, 01:10

hey... saw your post on ca today... totally blew my mind.
I'm especially interested in that graphic novel project of yours. I will look out for that... hope you will tell us once its finished.

Posting in a foreign language forum is sadly sooo unusual, no wonder why everyone expected this to be gnomon spam.

Zaknafain
Beitrag von Zaknafain » 17. Dez 2006, 13:42

helenos: vielleicht liegt dass auch nur daran dass es wesentlich schwieriger ist an bildern kritik zu üben die wesentlich über dem eigenem niveau liegen. nem anfänger tipps zu geben, dass ist immer einfach und man kommt sich dabei immer sehr schlau vor... bei relativ guten Künstlern artet Kritik jedoch meistens in simples Nörgeln an Details aus, an denen man sich selbst kaum gestört hätte. Das ist weder hilfreich noch eine bessere "Qualität" an Kommentar...

(natürlich bezweifle ich nicht, dass gute Kritik auch hier möglich ist.)

naja aber am besten ignoriert ihr jetzt einfach mal meinen post... sonst gibts wieder streit, und dass gehört nicht in diesen thread.

RamMan
Beitrag von RamMan » 17. Dez 2006, 14:02

Da stimme ich Zaknafain zu. Für mich persönlich gesprochen finde ich, dass die Qualität der Bilder auf einem sehr hohen Niveau liegen (da bin ich selbst gaaanz weit drunter aber würde mir evtl. wünschen auch irgendwann mal nur annähernd solche Bilder erstellen zu können)
Soll heißen ich kann da keine Verbesserungsvorschläge geben oder Kritik üben....als Amateur seh ich da einfach nix ...also bleibt für mich nur Lob über, den ich bei für meiner Meinung nach guten Bildern gern abgeb.

TARGETE
Beitrag von TARGETE » 17. Dez 2006, 15:46

Helenos-

I could not completely translate your comments, but if you would like to expresss yourself in english I can possibly respond to them.

Let me say this I'm not here to offend anyone or show off my work and get praise. If you want to crit my work, please feel free to. If you have some art posted here and you want my crit, please direct me to them, and I would be more then happy to contribute.

Also I'm not a star, I'm a guy who lives in a small aptment with my wife and dog, who loves art and wants to talk and learn from others around the world. I rarely post art, I only post on CA and Epilogue, and recently Deviant art and now here. Never posted in Sijun Gfxartist or the others.

I would imagine this forum can use a few professionals from any country to stop by and post and interact with other pros and artist, pro or student, it doesnt matter, it's about learning and taking advantage of the experience.

There is a huge competetive art world out there but also great oppurtunities for success if you are willing to learn and be humble, do not be afraid of new or foriegn things.

JP

JGS
Beitrag von JGS » 17. Dez 2006, 16:24

@targete
Helenos means that its sadly for you that everybody only praise your work without any critic - not that you want that.

And, in relationship to the other Forum-Members, you are a star.

ElCazze
Beitrag von ElCazze » 17. Dez 2006, 16:39

Targete, the people talk about not being able to give you good critics as they aren't as good as you.
They say it's always easy to give a beginner hints and crits but when guys like you post their art they can just tell you how awesome and nice your pictures are...
Nobody wants you to take your pictures out, please post more! ;-) :-)

ErichSchreiner
Beitrag von ErichSchreiner » 17. Dez 2006, 18:02

Hi JP, great stuff :)

I have your page for a long time in my favourites, so it's really cool that you stopped by and said 'hello' .

No one feels offended here and everybody should be glad that guys like you stop by sometimes (especially because that doesn't happen to often :) ), for talking about stuff and exchanging knowledge concerning skills or the biz or whatever.

Never posted in Sijun Gfxartist or the others
Well, i think it would be not too bad to post there too and in every gallery or forum you can find (try the new ImagineFX site, i bet you could make a short tutorial for them), to push your popularity even further. You don't have to participate in all these forums, just make sure you're there.

Like you said, at the beginning most of the customers for your graphic novel will be out of these communities and the guys who know you already.

Just my 2 cents

cheers

buki
Artguy
Beitrag von buki » 17. Dez 2006, 21:07

Also I'm not a star
That's what all the stars say ^^

welcome to our forum (:
Alle Farben für alle!

Duracel
Beitrag von Duracel » 18. Dez 2006, 02:03

I guess for a lot people its way harder to critisize in a language you're not as firm in.
In my case it took me around twice the time to write something down im english without the precision of my german words.
So people keep shorter.

And - its always a difficult situation, if you have too many well done pictures in one thread next to each other; especially if its the first appearing of the person in a forum. Its just too much at once, so people don't know what they should mention, but they like to welcome the guest, so they just keep short but friendly.

I mean, hey, the reason why this forum is so successful is, people feel comfortable with their native language, they like the homy feeling and all the friends in here; they like to meet each other at least once a year on the convention etc. pp.. this is a real community.
If someone new is showing up in here its a bit of a "wow, too much, wait, nice work, but i have to take some time to think about who you might be".
Ziel ist, woran kein Weg vorbeiführt.

Antworten